Friday, April 6, 2012

Kierkegaard on Teaching

Every day I teach my logic students, I find Kierkegaard's statement to be more true.

"To be a teacher does not mean simply to affirm that such a thing is so, or to deliver a lecture, etc. No, to be a teacher in the right sense is to be a learner. Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner, put yourself in his place so that you may understand what he understands and the way he understands it." 
                                                                                                                   - Søren Kierkegaard

2 comments:

  1. I like this quote very much. I would like to read Kierkegaard's context of thought. Could you share a citation for this quote?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret. This is where I found the quote: http://learningshore.edublogs.org/2011/05/03/soren-kierkegaard-the-journals-1854/ It's a selection from one of his journals.

    ReplyDelete